CARNASSERIE CASTLE

 

Near Kilmartin, Argyll and Bute


Route Overview: 28min, 11miles


 
Carnasserie Castle is a late 16th Century castle of unusual plan, consisting of a tower and adjoining
contemporary wing, which contains the hall. The defences are both for security and for show. There
is a also a large courtyard.
 
The castle was the home of John Carsewell, bishop of the isles, who translated Knox's liturgy into
Gaelic in 1567, and may have been built by him. The castle was captured and partly blown up
in 1685. 
 


  
 

FOR MORE INFO:
 
 

 

Gallery    
Contact/Deposit


Web Design by Jo Shepherd
All Photography by Jo Shepherd
 
Last Updated October 2014